phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Legislation protecting people in care Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007

Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007

Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007

The Adult Support and Protection Act 2007 gives greater protection to adults at risk of harm or neglect.

The act defines adults at risk as those aged 16 years and over who:

  • are unable to safeguard their own wellbeing, property, rights or other interests
  • and are at risk of harm
  • and because they are affected by disability, mental disorder, illness or physical or mental infirmity, are more vulnerable to being harmed than adults who are not so affected

It places a duty on local councils to inquire and investigate cases where harm is known or suspected.

They have powers to visit and interview people, arrange medical examinations, examine records, and issue protection orders. They must also consider if there is any need for advocacy and other services, such as help with medication or support services.

Older men and women can also be at risk of harm, but older people are among the least likely to report it.

Many people don't realise the different forms harm can take or how to access the range of help and support available. Harm may include:

  • physical harm
  • psychological harm
  • financial harm
  • sexual harm
  • neglect

Harm can occur anywhere, and the person causing harm may be a stranger or may be known to the person being harmed. They may be a relative, a friend, a volunteer or a professional.

If you are being harmed or suspect that someone you know is being harmed, it's very important to talk through your concerns with someone who is trained to listen and can offer you emotional support and appropriate information.

There are lots of places to access advice and help, including your local council's social care department.

You should also make sure that if the person's been involved in caring, and was paid for this, that abuse is reported to the police and Disclosure Scotland.

The information was last updated on: 27th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS