phone 0800 011 3200
Our phone service is temporarily suspended as our teams are supporting the management of the coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
chat service

Paying care home fees

Paying care home fees
If you're entering a care home, you'll have to make some contribution towards the fees. The amount of contribution you have to make depends upon several things, such as how much capital you have and the care home you choose.

If you move into a care home, you need to have an assessment of your care needs, even if you've had one while living at home, as your circumstances have now changed.

Find out about the assessment of your care needs and financial assessment.

You may have one or more of the following questions:

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Advice Direct Scotland - phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
Citizens Advice Scotland - find contact details for you local bureau
Age Scotland - its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222

The information was last updated on: 28th April 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here...

Scottish Government Scottish NHS