phone 0800 011 3200
Our phone service is temporarily suspended as our teams are supporting the management of the coronavirus (COVID-19) helpline
chat service

Treatment of your home

Treatment of your home
You may wonder what would happen to your home if you go into a care home.

If you are the owner, even if you have a mortgage on your home, your home is treated as a capital asset unless it's disregarded. This applies to sole and joint owners.

How your home is valued

  • current market value
  • minus 10% of the value of the property, to cover the costs of selling
  • minus any outstanding debt, like a mortgage

Jointly owned property

Your share will be counted as part of your capital. Each owner is treated as having an equal share unless otherwise shown. Your share is valued on its own. The value could be low or even nothing.

Local councils must assess you as owning only of the value of your share. The only realistic market for a share in a jointly owned property would be amongst the other owner or owners. If the other owner or owners are unwilling to buy your share, or unwilling to sell the whole property, your share could be worth little or nothing.

Read about Property Disregard.

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Citizens Advice Scotland - phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday, or 10am to 2pm on a Saturday
Age Scotland - its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222

The information was last updated on: 3rd May 2018


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here...

Scottish Government Scottish NHS