phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Personal and nursing care in care homes

Personal and nursing care in care homes

Your local council can provide a flat rate payment for the personal and nursing care part of your care home fees if:

  • you're an adult and living in a care home which you pay for yourself
  • and you've been assessed as having personal or nursing care needs

People of all ages can receive payments for nursing care if they've been assessed as needing it.

Payments for personal and nursing care are only part of the care home fees. You'll still have to contribute towards your accommodation and living costs in the care home the residential part of your care home fees.


The personal and nursing care payment rates from 1 April 2022 are:

  • £212.85 a week for personal care
  • £95.80 a week for nursing care

How the payments are made

An assessment of your care needs will be carried out, and if you are eligible to receive free personal and/or nursing care, a contract will be put in place between the local council and the care provider. Once the contract is in place your council will make payments directly to the care provider.

The council doesn't have to backdate the payments to the date you moved into the care home.

If you receive the personal care contribution towards your care home fees, you'll no longer be eligible for Attendance Allowance after 28 days.

You must tell the Department of Work and Pensions about your change in circumstances by phoning 08457 123 456.
Read more about free personal and nursing care

Further information

The payment of care home fees is a complex subject and depends on many things which are unique to you.

If you want detailed information or personal advice, ask an experienced independent adviser like:

Advice Direct Scotland  phone 0808 800 9060, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Age Scotland  its fact sheets have information on paying for care homes, or phone their helpline on 0800 12 44 222.

The information was last updated on: 4th April 2022


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.


How could we improve this website or page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS