phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Caring for an adult with incapacity How the Act can help

How the Act can help

How the Act can help

It protects adults, people aged 16 or over, who are unable to make some or all decisions for themselves. It allows a person (or more than one), a relative, friend, partner, or a professional, such as a solicitor or accountant or the local council to make decisions on someone's behalf.

Those appointed to help are called attorneys or guardians.

They can help people:

  • make welfare decisions
  • and/or make decisions about property or financial matters

The act focuses on the individual needs of the adult in question. It restricts what an attorney or guardian can do. For example, a welfare attorney or guardian can't agree to certain treatments for the person they're acting for against their will.

The act can put measures in place for people:

  • in case they lose capacity in the future
  • or when an adult has already lost capacity

The information was last updated on: 28th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS