Care home costs
All care homes charge care home fees. Most people need to contribute something towards the cost of their care.
You may be eligible for help paying care home fees. This depends on the outcome of a financial assessment, carried out by your social care department.
What you should think about:
- Can I still get help if I have savings?
- What happens to my home?
- What about my personal and nursing care?
- What type of contract do I need?
- What rate will I have to pay?
- Can my relatives be charged for my care home fees?
- Can I keep some of my income for personal items?
- What if I choose a care home that charges more than the local council will pay?
- Does my home count as part of my capital?
- What if I give my house to a relative?
- Can I postpone selling my house to pay my fees?
Read more on care home costs
The information was last updated on: 11th April 2023