phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Equipment and adaptions/telecare Help making changes to your home

Help making changes to your home

Help making changes to your home

Major adaptations to your home may need advice from an architect or surveyor, and permission from other tenants, like if you share a stair and you want to install an external ramp.

If you're a local council tenant or you rent your home from a registered social landlord like a housing association and your home is assessed as no longer meeting your needs, the local council may fund adaptations for your home.

If you live in private rented accommodation, you can adapt your home. You'll be responsible for arranging and funding the work.

Landlords can't refuse permission or impose conditions without good reason, and are required to make reasonable adjustments for tenants with a disability, like:

  • providing auxiliary equipment and services, like replacing taps and door handles or providing door entry systems
  • changing practices, policies and procedures
  • changing a term of letting
Get advice on making repairs improvements and adaptations to your home through your local Care and Repair service

The information was last updated on: 26th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS