What do I need to consider?
Issues to consider for an emergency or future plan include:
- Who needs to be involved in planning discussions?
- Where will the cared-for person live?
- Who will provide care, support and friendship?
- What practical, legal and financial arrangements need to be made, including welfare benefits, power of attorney, guardianship, wills and trusts?
- What support or services are needed now to prepare the cared-for person for a change of circumstances in the future?
- What support is needed for you and the cared-for person following discharge from hospital or care home?
- Does the cared-for person need an up-to-date assessment of care needs?
- Do I need an up-to-date carer's assessment?
- Who will provide advocacy to protect the rights of the cared-for person?
- What about the healthcare needs of the cared-for person?
- Who should the plan be shared with?
- Where will the plan be kept?
- When will the plan be reviewed?
Read more on future or anticipatory planning in the Scottish Government's Anticipatory care planning: frequently asked questions.
The information was last updated on: 24th May 2017