phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Self-directed support Access to self-directed support

Access to self-directed support

Access to self-directed support

Self-directed support is an approach to engaging with people who require support. It's much more than how the budget is allocated, which is only one aspect of a process that's designed to empower you, should you need care. You're an equal partner and can be as involved as you want to be in assessing your care needs and in planning your support.

This planning is done by you along with someone from your local council's social care department. Ask your local council for an assessment of your care needs if you feel you need support for yourself or someone you look after.

They'll talk to you about what matters most to you – your 'outcomes' – and help look at ways of achieving these outcomes. This might be a mixture of community or natural support - that is, from your family, local council, carer or provider organisation - and funded support. They should also discuss with you how much of that support you'd like to organise – or 'direct' – for yourself, via 4 options (mentioned below).

Your local council can offer you a carer's assessment if you're an unpaid carer. You can ask them for one to find out how they can support you in your caring role. If they decide they should provide support to you as the carer in your own right and offer funded support, they'll also offer the choice of 4 options.

The information was last updated on: 25th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS