phone 0800 011 3200
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
chat service

Personal and nursing care Costs



Personal care provided by your local council is free if you have been assessed as requiring it by your local authority's social work department. You'll get this regardless of age, income, capital assets, marital or civil partnership status.

If the care you're assessed as needing doesn't fall into the categories of personal care, you may be charged for it. This may be for things like housework, shopping and making beds.

Charges vary depending on your local council.

Nursing care from the NHS in your own home is free and should be provided by your GP surgery.

If you need personal and nursing care in a care home, you can receive a payment towards the personal and nursing care part of your fees.

Find out more about free personal and nursing care from the Scottish Government.

The information was last updated on: 26th August 2020


How could we improve this website or this page? Please tell us your thoughts.

Find my council

Most care services are coordinated through regional councils and...further text to explain the importance of council and care serve provision/funding.

Find my council

You can contact your local council's social care department for a free assessment. Find their details here.

Scottish Government Scottish NHS